"Bottled Water - It Is Just Water In A Bottle - Right?
Bottled Water is a social phenomenon - A Little History:
The industry had its inception in the modern era with the sale, in 1830, of natural mineral water in earthenware jugs. The waters source was springs located in the city of Evian, France. Today, the Evian company is one of the best known bottlers. They produce about 6 million liters of natural mineral water a day, selling in 130 countries around the world. They earn about 500 million US dollars annually.
Other Players on the world stage:
- The Nestle company has the largest share of the water bottling industry with 15% of the market. In 1999 they sold 3.5 Billion US dollars worth of product.
- Bottled waters sold under the brand names of Evian, Volvic, Perrier, San Pelligino and others are controlled either by the Nestle or Danone companies.
- Cokes Denasi and BonAqua and PepsiCos Aquafina are both strong rivals in the water market just as they are in the soda market. (More about some of their unsavory corporate policies later on)
- Despite the presence of large players, about 70% of the market is controlled by local companies.
There are three main categories of water in bottles:
- Natural mineral water - microbiologically wholesome with a stable concentration of minerals and trace elements. It must be untreated and emerge naturally from an undeground source.
- Spring water - Microbiologially wholesome and emerging naturally from an underground source. It is not required to have a stable concentration of minerals or trace elments.
- Purified water - Coming from either a surface or underground source, it can be treated for human consumption.
Next Time You Buy - Remember This
The FDA quality standards for purified water are the same as the EPA standards for tap water so...it often is just that - tap water.
Dressed up and marked up for your drinking water pleasure and the bottlers bottom line.
The Water, The Bottle And The Bottled Water Industry
Bottled water cannot be seperated easily from the industry that produces and markets it to us - the Bottled Water Industry.
This industry is represented by the IBWA (International Bottled Water Association. To find out more about what they are doing to promote their industry by going to their website.
As with so many products that may be beneficial to the consumer, every bottle of water you buy supports an industry whose profit strategies may be abusive to either people or places. They might not further the general good of the world at large or they may be blatantly exploitive .....BUT THEIR IS A BETTER WAY....
BERKEY WATER FILTERS
Berkey has come up with a low-tech, economical, effective alternative to buying bottled water - the berkey gravity-fed water filter. The technology takes the best features and using a proprietary formula has developed a filter system that is both simple and effective. To find out just how well this system works take a look at the test results and review the products. Berkey has a model that is just the right fit for your lifestyle.
RETURN TO NEWS AND VIEWS
FIND THE PERFECT FIT WITH THE BERKEY BUYERS GUIDE
Back to HOME PAGE