BERKEY NEWS AND VIEWS PRESENTS
Berkey Water Filter News and Views presents articles related to drinking water.
The Berkey water filter is the simplest, most effective method of water treatment available.
All things taken together your Berkey can provide you with high quality water in almost any circumstance where fresh water is available -
pond, pool, lake, river, stream or puddle. Everyday or in an emergency your Berkey filter works because it uses no electricity.
No other water filter can match the Berkey water filter for all-around convenience. Information is the key to good decision making and we at
Berkey Water Fitler System hope these articles help you to make the decision to make a Berkey part of your lifestyle.
Berkey Water Filters vs The Bottled Water Industry - Taking A Good Idea To New Lows
The Problem With the Bottle Water Solution is That Unlike Berkey Filters, It is Not Sustainable
There is nothing wrong with the bottled water industry allowing people, who have no safe water resource, to buy safe drinking water in bottles.
Not a great permanent solution, but better than letting them get sick or even die from drinking fouled water. However providing them with a Berkey Filter would be a much better solution.
Water-borne disease is a huge killer in the third world, especially of children. An average of six thousand children a day die
from diseases that are a result of contaminated water. A Berkey Filters could prevent this tragedy.
Providing water to the world is a tremendous growth industry. The bottled water industry grew at a rate of 7%400 billion dollar industry,
One of the largest and fastest growing in the world. While Berkey has become a popular alternative it has not achieved such growth. If these companies had supported a sustaniable solution such as the Berkey the world would be a better place. last year.
Water is a
The negative effects of bottling water and selling it are an unfortunate result of at least two factors:
- 1. The lack of adequate local, national and international regulations or regulating bodies. They exist, they just have not been able to keep up with the expansion of the bottled water industry.
- 2. The lack of any sense of responsibility on the part of the bottled water industry. Maybe that is too broad a condemnation. As in any industry, there are some players on both local and international stages, who place the making of profits from selling water above any of the negative consequences of that effort, ie.- exploitation.
Berkey and the Case Against Bottled Water:
The plastic bottle - The biggest negative environmental impact is made from the production and disgarding of plastic containers.Your Berkey efficiently uses natural resources.
- 1.5 million tons of plastic (made from oil)are used in the making of the plastic water bottles. This results from the sale of 89 billion liters of water. Berkey uses a samll amount of plastice for the spigots, the little knob on top and the base of the filters and they last for years.
Note:Western Europeons drink an average of 85 liters of bottled water per year.
- In the US, 85% of these plastic bottles become garbage.The bottled water industry has done little to promote the recycling of these bottles.
- Bottled water plants are springing up all across the world. Bottlers extract water in huge ammounts from local springs and aquifers. Many communities in areas where groundwater is already depleted are finding their wells drying up.
- Worse than that is the unconscionable tapping of water in third world communities whose water resources are already depleted. The groundwater is sucked out and the plant closes and moves somewhere else.
- Some bottlers deplete municipal reserves by drawing directly from the municipal source. These depleted reserves often put the municipality in a position of having to bear the expense of drilling new wells.
- In India, bottled water consumption is growing at a rate of 50% a year. Coke has built bottling plants throughout the country. Berkey is interested in maintaining a balanced lifestyle in good relationship to natural resources. The bottom line for Berkey in not profit at any cost.
Note: At least five communities near Cokes bottling plants are facing severe water shortages and widespread health problems.
Note: In Plachimada, India, Coke extracted hundreds of thousand of gallons of clean water through electric pumps. The results were the drying up of hundreds of local wells. Villagers are now forced to travel great distances to obtain water.
In contrast - your Berkey stainless steel container wil last a lifetime. The filters wil last for 3 thousand gallons and the only plastic thing you may have to replace is the small spigot
and the knob on the top.
- Between 1970 and the year 2000 the annual volume of water purchased worldwide increased by over 7000%.
- The bottled water industry operates with little regulation.
The result is that consumers are left in the dark with slick marketing as the primary point of reference.
It's important to know what the effects of our consumer choices are.The effects of choosing a Berkey are all positive. It is such a simple solution to water pollution.
Just because You Paid For It Doesnīt Make It Safe
Your Berkey filter is designed to effectively and consistently provide safe, toxin and pathogen free water, everyday and in emergencies.
- About 25% of the bottled water sold in the US is derived from tap water with an ever so slight market-up (250 to 1,000 times the actual cost of the water) It will, of course, have the same levels of contamination as the tap water.
- The NRDC (NAtional Resource Defence Council) hired independant labs to test more than 1,000 bottles of water,
including 103 of the most popular brands.
- Some bottled waters contained arsenic, trihalomethanes, bacteria and a variety of other contaminants.
- One third of the bottles contained levels of contamination exceeding those allowed under state or federal guidelines
- The regulatory and oversight of the bottled water industry is less stringent than that for tap water and rules in many ways weaker.
- Carbonated water, seltzers and many other waters are exempted by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) from the standards that do exist.
The bottlers must apply only general rules of sanitation that set no specific contamination limits.
- State regulatory agencies have an average of one person working part time dedicated to overseeing compliance.
Bottled Water Is Expensive !!!
The cost of bottled water varies greatly depending on market demand.
One report stated that:
- Water from a vending machine into your own bottle runs about 25 cents a gallon.
- A gallon of generic brand water runs about 50 cents.
- A 5 gallon bottle of water, delivered, runs anywhere from a dollar ( in some poorer communities) to 8 dollars (and rising).
On the low side that is 20 cents a gallon.
On the high side that is between $1.00 and $1.50 per gallon.
Itīs an interesting study to add up what you pay for bottled water. Itīs worth the exercise.
Buying a gallon of water in 69 cent 16 ounce bottles, one at a time, would put the price at about $5.52 per gallon, more than gas (at least so far).
If you plan on carrying your own water and but it five gallons at a time you better stay in shape. Water weighs in at about 8 pounds per gallon or a whopping 40 pounds per five gallon bottle.
Tipping a 40 pound bottle of fluid with the top removed and contents sloshing around is almost always entertaining for those watching. Itīs especially enjoyable if the tipper misses the first time. If you happen to be the tipper it can ruin your whole day and maybe your back as well.
Or...you can just put some water from your tap into your Berkey and in minutes have a convenient source of drinking water.
A Note Of Caution
It is extremely important that the bottles, once opened, stay sanitary.
If a fly drops in through the top and stays there while your working your way through the bottle, the safe and sanitary aspect of the purchase is pretty much over.
The taste may or may not improve depending on the brand.
Bottled Water - Itīs Expensive, Heavy, of Uncertain Quality and Inconvenient.
(What More Could You Ask For In A product You Use Every Day)
Berkey - Fresh-Tasting Safe Drinking Water Conveniently Provided by You in Your Own Home for Pennies a Gallon
Whatever you experience, you will find the Berkey water filter an excellent substitute for bottled water.
Berkey Water FIlters are a Common-Sense Solution -
Here's way Berkey is such a great alternative:
For more information about why Berkey water filters are such a valuable alternative to buying bottled water - Click - WHY BERKEY
It is long-lasting
- Your Berkey use results in a minimal amount of waste
- Your Berkey is low-tech, simple solutions rule at Berkey
- Your Berkey water filter environmental impact is very low
- Your Berkey is highly effective
- Your Berkey use no electricity which makes it valuable in an emergency.
- Your Berkey is YOUR BERKEY meaning that you are in control of the quality of your water.
To return to Berkey News and Views - Click - BERKEY NEWS AND VIEWS